Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Internet use

My use of the internet has changed substantially this year.

I have changed the way I view web content by moving to an RSS feed reader (in my case RSS Reader). RSS stands for "Really Simple Syndication". The feed reader pulls together all of the content I am interested in one place and strips away ads and other junk. In the process I have ditched most of the e-mail alerts I previously received and which clogged up my inbox.

If you are not already using a reader I can highly recommend that you get started.

In addition, I have started two blogs and in the process discovered a wealth of information sources (other blogs). From a family perspective blogging is an ideal media for informing family and friends about news and developments. It also provides an opportunity to share thoughts and experiences. Down the track it may also provide our children some insight into their parent’s mindset and the time of their upbringing.

The blogosphere has exploded in size in recent years. See the figure below from David Sifry’s State of the Bolgophere report (which he publishes every 3 months).

The blogosphere has been doubling in size every 6 months or so. It is over 100 times bigger than it was just 3 years ago. I doubt anyone could have predicted how blogging would evolve.

No comments: